Digital Audio Primer: Intro
I've been in the mp3 game since 1999. I have quite the history with my mp3 knowledge. From Xing, Blade, the original mp3.com, my own Christmas CD containing a How-To and a bunch of mp3s, the first comertial portable mp3 player, EAC, Lame, the first hard drive based portable mp3 player (I had an "iPod" even before iPods were released) , hearing the difference between encoders, and so on and so forth. I'm not an expert by any means, I just happen to have a lot of experience in this area. As such, I would like to share my methods for creating your own superb mp3s.
As "the computer guy" I was often asked how to make your own mp3s. While the process can be simplified to inserting the CD and clicking a button, I go a lot deeper. Perhaps "a lot" is a gross underestimate. In the end, my mp3s take up a little more space yet sound better then most mp3s.
Why is my method so great? Why bother? What is the point if you cannot hear the difference? (I get into arguments about this.) It's all up to you really. If you don't care, turn back now. Thats not to say I do not have my own reasons:
- I love my music.
- I want mp3s that will sound nice on a good stereo, not just an iPod.
- I want an open unrestrictive file format thats widely supported.
- I need systematic procedure to catalog thousands of mp3s.
- I like nice things.
- I'm fascinated with all this science and technology.
- I'm very perceptive of encoding flaws.
- I want mp3s that even the most sensitive of ears can enjoy.
Remember, audio is inherently subjective, so what maybe good for you isn't good for me. The golden rule of audio: If it sounds good, it is good.
Further Reading (Your Homework Assignment)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio (Extra Credit)
1:21 AM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home