Sunday, September 17, 2006

Essential Program: Irfan View

I love Irfan View. It’s this great little program that lets me do some of the most basic tasks with any of the many graphic file types it supports. It’s fast, so using it for viewing is the first thing you’ll probably enjoy. It supports a ton of file formats, so converting graphic files is a snap. It can crop, rotate, resize, and print your images. Browsing a folder’s images with the scroll wheel or page up/down keys is also very handy. I like to paste my screen shots into Irfan View to save them. It has a ton of other powerful features, like batch conversion and rename. It can do a bunch of simple filters and you can adjust the colors some. You can save and load color pallets and you can also customize the pallet. Every so often I discover a new feature that blows me away and yet I’ve been using this program for a few years now. I love it when I discover additional useful features of a program that I already find exceptionally useful. I install Irfan View on any computer I setup. It’s one of the first programs that I install after installing Windows. I will also go as far as to disable the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer along with the Thumbnail View simply because Irfan View does it better and faster. I grind my teeth when I require some picture editing and Irfan View is not installed.

Irfan View is free for non-commercial use.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack Of Clubs said...

Good grief. I can't stand getting on a m chine without IrfanView and trying to browse through a directory full of photos/pics/screenshots/whatev. I also like being able to do small-scale editing; I do a lot of resizing and cropping (for the small bit of photo manipulation that I DO) and I've never had any problems with it. (It beats waiting for the GIMP to load.)

I don't think I've ever found a picture format that it wouldn't open and display properly, including animated GIFs.

Usually when I'm attempting an install (for myself, at least), it's the second thing on my list after Servant Salamander, and I think it was one of the first things I installed on the craptacular Dell at the office.

Also, free. Word to all your moms.

END SUBROUTINE: "GUSH"

11:24 PM  
Blogger TempestBrewer said...

Definitely an awesome program, and my happiness with it has gone maybe a little too far...when I get onto someone elses computer and I notice a distinct lack of Irfanview, I'm appalled-- everyone should know about this. *sneaks in and puts irfanview on parents' computer*

For me, I don't need some pro-photo editor. I just need a program that does some simple (and a few more complex w/plugins!) things to help me edit my photos. Irfanview hasn't let me down yet.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home