Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Keep Your Ass With KeePass

My sister recently lost her password for her flickr account. Perhaps if she saved it in Firefox it might still be floating around on her hard drive but she didn't. In short things are looking bleak. She is the first person to ask me for assistance in installing and using a password manager.

She didn't come up with this idea on her own. I've been using a password manager for a while now. I do obscene amounts of stuff on a computer and this is the ONLY way I can manage my passwords and have them still be secure. That is more secure then using the same password for everything. Get with the times, real men use passpoems. I started my password manager adventures with PINs but have graduated to KeePass. The latter isn't exactly cross-platform but it has been ported. I've actually used KeePassX in my Ubuntu adventures. Without my passwords, a computer is useless to me.

And I often use the GRC password generator when a password manager isn't available.

And what is a good password? A long one. Make it as long as it can be. Even if it isn't complex with all sorts of symbols and numbers, the length is easily the most important aspect of a good password. (A long password made up of many words or a phrase becomes a "pass phrase.")

And you spell it KEEP ASS. You shouldn't need any more convincing beyond this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home