Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Virtual Memory Issues

I don't like anything my computer does for me. That's why I like to set a static page file size in Windows. I would set it to something "large" so I wouldn't have to worry about any trouble. Turns out 700MB isn't large anymore. I was starting to get virtual memory warnings and absolutely horrid preformance. I've configured quite a few computers the same way. Large is now 1500MB.

Also, switching your paging file to another physical hard drive really helps with load times. I'm sure you all knew this already but I recently did it to my own computer. Load times are back to being bareable for the moment.

Crash course: Bring up your System Properties (Winkey + Pause) and click on the Advanced tab. It's different between 2000 and XP so it's somewhat pointless to hold your hand any further. If you cannot figure it out from here, you shouldn't be doing this.

1 Comments:

Blogger XLShadow said...

After working on a computer with 2GB of RAM and looking more into how Windows XP manages it's memory (management should be fired) it's best to set a static size of whatever Windows recommends. Windows is programed to keep as much RAM free as possible. Sounds counter intuitive, I know. I didn't code the stupid software. Where are my Linux install disks...

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home